Want something absolutely delicious and comforting but you won’t care after the first bite that it’s maybe not the healthiest choice? Then read on!
I woke up the other morning with a massive headache. My head was on my pillow in a strange position and I knew the moment I woke up that movement was going to be bad. As soon as I straightened my neck out, the pain just whooshed from my neck into my head. Unfortunately/fortunately, it was a headache that was just bad enough to make me an unhappy Sashi but not so bad that I couldn’t go to work.
I powered through it and got through my work day but having a headache with neck pain while dealing with the stress of learning a new job meant my head really wasn’t much better by the time I got home again. Plus, the lunch I had brought to work that day wasn’t nearly enough so not only was I stressed with a headache but I was also famished. So I wanted comforting, filling food and quickly!
I had ground beef, chicken and a red pepper that needed to be used but didn’t really have a whole lot to go with any of it since grocery shopping wasn’t going to be happening until the next day. It was also the day before pay-day so my wallet wouldn’t allow for the rare treat of eating out or ordering in.
Fortunately, we did have a few potatoes left as well as a few slices of bacon and some cheese… which I realized was pretty close to the ingredients for Chicken Alambre… which I thought might be kinda tasty with potatoes… which is what I ended up making… which was really GOOD.
So the potatoes were quickly diced, oiled, seasoned and thrown into the oven. The bacon was then cooked and set aside while the ground beef was cooked with the same seasonings I used to make chorizo. By the time the chicken and peppers were cooked, the potatoes were ready and dinner was ready to go.
Mr. O can attest that I made a lot of yummy sounds while eating this. I still had a headache thanks to my stiff neck but it was better because the stress was pretty much gone by the end of dinner. I would have preferred to eat this taco style on flour tortillas but the potatoes as the base were down right delicious. It was a plateful of comfort and a great cure for a stress headache.*
- 6 slices of bacon, cut into ½" pieces
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ancho chile pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground clove
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cut into ½" strips
- 4 oz shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat.
- Once heated, cook the bacon, stirring often, until browned and crispy, about 7-8 minutes. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Pour the remaining grease from the pan.
- Return the pan to the stove and heat up again. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring and breaking up large clumps, until cooked about halfway through, 3-4 minutes. Add the spices, herbs and vinegars and stir to combine. Cook 2 minutes more.
- Add the chicken and red bell pepper to the ground beef. Cook, stirring, until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the bacon back to the pan and add the cheddar. Stir until the cheese is melted and remove the pan from the heat.
- Serve on tortillas or over roasted potatoes.
* Not real medical advice 😉